Thursday, February 21, 2008

LAY ASIDE THE REGRETS & FOCUS ON THE BLESSING

While He was still speaking, someone came from the ruler of the synagogue's house, saying to him, "Your daughter is dead. Do not trouble the teacher." But when Jesus heard it, He answered him, saying, "Do not be afraid; only believe, and she will be made well." Now all wept and mourned for her; but He said, "Do not weep; she is not dead, but sleeping." And they ridiculed Him, knowing that she was dead. But He put them all outside, took her by the hand and called, saying, "Little girl, arise." Then her spirit returned and she arose immediately.
Luke 8:49,50,52,53,54,55

Today is my son's 22nd birthday. It is a bitter sweet day for me. He is in NYC and I am here, three states away. Hard to believe my first baby is now a man. The little boy who wanted to grow up and be Micheal Jackson (yikes) or David Copperfield is now about to graduate college.
Those that know me well, know this is a tough day for me. It would be too emotionally exhausting to go into details now.
As I had my morning cup of coffee, I thought of my son and wondered what he was going to do to celebrate his birthday and how long it has been since I was able to celebrate his birthday with him and I almost began to do the mental inventory of the list of "what if's" and "I should have's".
Then a small voice said, "Stop it! Look at what you have today". I have three beautiful daughters, 8, 12 and 18, a very funny step son and beautiful step daughter. I have a home (which is for sale by the way) a hard working husband, wonderful friends and most importantly a relationship with Jesus.
So I think about my "what if's" and "should have's" and I marvel how God turned my twisted past and turned it into this. Though He still has a lot of work to do in me, He was not limited by my mistakes and hurts.
There is an e mail that I received about a little girl and her mother who was in a car accident recently. The mother, though banged up, is doing well, but the little girl is critical, her little body is broken and she is bleeding from every spot that can bleed. As I pray for this little girl and her family, I cry. I can not imagine what this little girls family must be going through right now. It is ok, if you should pause for a moment now and pray for her.
An EMS worker said it was amazing that everyone was in place when this accident happened. I say, God yes, God is amazing. Nothing is a surprise to Him. He knows what is going to happen and He makes a way.
My littlest girl likes to cuddle. She is a Mommy's girl for sure. Every time I leave for work, she stands in our yard and waves to me until I am out of sight. I know I will soon miss these days, because she will grow up. I told her she will always be my little girl, although it might look kinda silly when she is 16 and sitting on my lap.
People are funny. Why do we get so wrapped up in the now and not take time to really notice the beautiful gifts we have? How easy it is to take our focus off God and put it on things that depress or overwhelm us. When we do this, we begin to take for granted the gifts that God has given us, specifically our family and our friends.
Randy Carlson, (from Parent Talk) talks about intentional living. Now that is a revolutionary idea!
So will you purpose with me, to not just float threw life, being tossed to and fro' with every wave this life wants to throw at you and purpose to take the time to love someone, encourage someone, celebrate someone, laugh with someone, cry with someone, help someone, hug someone and keep your focus on the ONE who loves you and wants to love others through you.
I gotta run now, my littlest angel is calling for her mommy.
Love you guys!

1 comment:

James Diggs said...

thanks for the reminder about intentionally living in the NOW.

Peace,

James